First East General Hospital Cambridge

The First Eastern General Hospital (Territorial Force) was built at the outbreak of war in 1914 on the eight acre site now occupied by the Cambridge University Library and part of Clare College Memorial Court. It was enormous.
At its height the hospital had 1700 beds and treated 70,000 casualties between 1914 and 1919.

The above hospital image is from a painting by an unrecorded artist from Addenbrooke's Hospital Archives, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, with permission from Addenbrooke's Arts

Home   |   The Hospital   |   The Memorial   |   Donation   |   Contact Us